A few months back one of our writers, Matt Hert, wrote about the 2045 Initiative—a group of people charging forth to make immortality a reality by transferring one’s consciousness into a computer before one’s death. The idea is great science fiction, realized in a very entertaining Netflix Original show called Travelers, starring Eric McCormack. By the way, McCormack is fantastic in the show, almost making you forget his comedy days from Will and Grace. Nevertheless, let me stress that it is pure fiction.
In this Aeon article Richard Epstein, a senior research psychologist at the American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology in California, utterly crushes the idea that a brain is like a computer. The brain is not a computer and the notion that it’s like one is “shoddy thinking” that has “deep historical roots.” Epstein first deconstructs computer science and then shows us how the brain functions nothing like it. Then he enlightens us to how humanity has been comparing the brain to the latest technology known to man at any given time in history—for thousands of years. A few hundred years ago we called the brain “a well functioning machine.” Before that, it was compared to fluid dynamics. He argues that each comparison in history has also inhibited brain research because each metaphor cages our collective thinking about the human brain into false models inspired by the metaphors.
Epstein points out that the first comparison humanity made about the brain is the Biblical model of being likened to the Spirit of God. Epstein misses the accuracy of this original comparison. The Bible teaches that human brain agency is the result of being created in the image of God and that our very life and consciousness is the result of God’s Spirit (breath – Job 34:14-15). Regardless, Epstein’s claim that our brains are not computers is spot on.
If Epstein’s work helps to crush the dreams of the 2045 Initiative, that would be a good thing.
- Considering the validity of Valiant Thor, a space alien from Venus who claims Christ, a Gnostic invention, or someone else? March 14, 2018 Frank Stranges tells us about the mysterious figure, Valiant Thor, his origins, his biology, and that he bears the name of Christ. Is there any weight to what…
- Considering the Validity of Valiant Thor Part 2—an Alien Consultant for Government Black Ops? November 29, 2018 A former government engineer and geologist claims involvement in secret underground military bases, the alien agenda, and a meeting with the mysterious figure, Valiant Thor.
- The Curse of a Million Maggots: A Demonic Signature of Corrupted Human Anatomy March 27, 2019 Humanity bears the image of God. What does it look like when Satan distorts the human form?
- When the Devil Walks the Earth he Wears a Coat of Many Colors March 28, 2018 A Series Examining the Legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, Part 1 Part I: Currently viewing Part II: When the Devil Walks the Earth he Wears a…
- Did Humans Multiply Before The Fall? October 9, 2019 A blog post I read yesterday made the case that Adam and Eve had children before the fall. The author's point was that because in Genesis 1:28 God…